Windsurfing in Thailand

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
otisdadog

Windsurfing in Thailand

Post by otisdadog »

I know this is a bit pre-mature but I'm looking to go on a big windsurfing trip after x-mas, has anybody ever been over to thailand for windsurfing? Any advice on locations and rentals would be appreciated.

Thanks
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I think its pretty light wind almost all the time except monsoon squalls. There is quite a lot of windsurfing there though because thats where the main factory is and the previous King thought windsurfing was the ideal sport and promoted it heavily.

edit: my son spent a winter/spring there and didn't see any windsurfing (but I think he may have been more interested in girls, parties, rockclimbing, and recovering from recurring mono). He did go to the kiting/windsurfing high-wind resort in Vietnam though.
Last edited by more force 4 on Sat May 03, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Didn't Andrew (Bear) spend a winter there windsurfing last year??
curses - foiled again!
Tom B

Post by Tom B »

I think Mui Ne in Viet Nam is the place to go. The wind in Thailand is rather spotty; however, this is just my experience, others might know more. Vietnam isn't far from Thailand . . . although I wouldn't you'd best go through Laos or fly because Cambodia doesn't have good roads and you need a visa for both Vietnam and Laos, but not for Thailand.