Swap meet and work party/Nitnat

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
GWIND

Swap meet and work party/Nitnat

Post by GWIND »

:idea: Maybe we could start working on getting a spring get together out at the lake to get a small stuff cleanup and swap meet. I think we could also get some spare rigs and boards together for people without any gear. I think it would be fun to have some club boards and maybe a cat. built out of old Bics or Hifly's, those things last forever. They could be left at the lake for the summer. whata you all think. LATE SPRING
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I'm pretty confused about Nitinat at the moment. KSD says the site is closed - period - no access! I would be glad to come out and help clean and spiff up the place but I don't think we will be allowed in. Is that correct?
I wish my TOW was longer!
GWIND

swap meet and work party/Nitnat

Post by GWIND »

:lol: ---LLLAAAAAAAATE SPRING -MIKE It's still winter.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

From what im told, the lake might be out of bounds for some of this summers short season.
Tom B

Post by Tom B »

The campsite currently has flagging across the entrance. I'm not sure about the legality of working in the campsite. There is a significant amount of work to be done sawing and moving trees, very similiar to Stanley Park in Vancouver. The areas with the worst blowdowns are in the second growth hemlocks in the back of the campsite.

Many of the trees are bigger than the capabilities of regular sized chainsaws; it may be worth a call to the Ministry of Forests to let them know that people would like to use the park very soon. They may not really know how many people use the campsite during the summer.

Amazingly, the outhouses survived, although there are lots of picnic tables that need work.

Some photos (not mine) from earlier in the winter:

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/index.php?cat=10313

Tom B.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I am just interested in understanding what the situation is at this stage. On January 18th, 2007, Jude, the campground manager, wrote an email message to me after I enquired about what we could do to help. Here it is:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Mike,

I am finally able to confirm that clean up of the campsite will be fully funded! All should be ready to go for the 2007 season.

The site is quite damaged - there are over 100 trees down. It's a mess. But hey, chin up - all will be somewhat restored.

Jude
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If this is the case, then I gather we should wait patiently while the contracted "clean up" crew does it's work. If it is not true, then I am curious to know what has changed. Regardless, I am still willing to roll up my sleves and work at Nitinat at any time but I would like to know who is calling the shots.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

I think in this case, no news, is bad news. I know there has been lots of talk, but no real solid action. Again my fear is that the summer is rapidly approaching, and if we site on the fence any longer and weight for someone ( Fed or Prov Gov) to come up with the cash to clean the campground, true to Government form the summer could be over before it even starts. I know it will cost a lot of money ( 100,000+), and im sure in the two to three months that we have, both the kite and windsurfing community could not come up with that kind of cash, and even if we did we wouldn’t have the time to get the job done. There are ways to put pressure on the man for some kind of solid action, maybe the time has come to get the local Victoria news into the game. Thoughts, feelings on this move!!!!!!!!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I agree that time is Marching :oops: on, and we need an update, but going to the press would be premature before enquiring with Jude (are you tracking this?) and/or MoF.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

No I haven’t talked to her, but im hoping that she or someone else with info will read these posts :D
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I've started the long trail of tracking down the right Gov't person to talk to. I'm waiting for a call back from the guy who is supposed to know. I'll edit this or post new when I hear.
AC

Lake

Post by AC »

I will be up there on sunday to see if I can open the road
a little.
tom

closed till

Post by tom »

its a short trail to the guy in the know from the MOF who says the area is closed until furhter notice. MOF is hoping to have the sight open beginning MAY, no guarentees
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Thanks Tom. At least that sounds encouraging - that MOF is aware and that they have a tentative timeline. Sounds positive.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

OK, finally connected wtih Paul Tataryn, Ministry of Tourism, Sports and the Arts (MoF doesn't have responsibility for forestry campsites anymore); Paul is Regional Recreation Manager (Coast Region) for the Recreation, Sites and Trails Branch out of Nanaimo.

He says the schedule of cleanup at the camp is going slower than planned, as most of the trees down are hemlock and not worth much in the current market. The big spruce stayed put for the most part, which would have been worth money if they had come down. They are quite worried about anyone going in to cut windfall on a volunteer basis, and it would actually make it much harder to find a contractor to take on the work; everytime you make a cut its going to devalue potential sawlogs.

They hope to be able to issue a salvage permit, but so far haven't had much interest. They did a hazard tree assessment done after the windfall and the assessor describes the situation as very dangerous (which everyone knew, but it made it official I guess). They figure the actual logging cost (not counting any cleanup, just felling, bucking, and decking the logs) will be $30K and they simply don't have that much money in their budget if they have to do it themselves.

I said that, if professionals could drop the actual hazards, that there were plenty of people (probably 20-30 for a workparty) willing to come in and buck and move logs around and do cleanup. He says if they don't find a salvor soon, that all options are on the table.

He suggested I phone back in two weeks to get an update.

They are still hoping for an May 1st campsite opening.
Nosey

Post by Nosey »

Good info, but it's not looking good. I hope they end up doing like you suggested with the volunteers.