Board Advice Needed

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Teabag

Board Advice Needed

Post by Teabag »

Hi everyone, does anyone know of a twin tip board that is very good for beggineer? (to go upwind and that require less balance/board skills to ride)

I have the Drake(Slingshot) . I did go upwind sometimes, but my board skills are still too low for it (I fall often etc...).
(Hopefully the snowbarding experience I had last winter will help me with the kite boarding)

I also have a surf board, wich I find was very easy to go upwind and stand on it, but switching side is too difficult for me.

I am looking for a new twin tip that would be easier for a begginer than the drake.

Any advice about if I should go with a bigger/wider board, or even the name/brand of a board would be very appreciate.

Thank you very much, Ian.
JL

Post by JL »

Mako...Read forum thread......... http://www.oceanrodeo.com/forum.html
Thermals are good.
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Hi, I just read a lot on the mako, even went downtown to look at it.
(they were out of stock but they showed me the picture and dimensions).

I am tempted by reading the comments of everyone who've tried it, but I am also affraid that I don't have the necesery skills/experience to ride it. (I think that it is smaller than the board I own)

Those huge twin tip board look so easy to float/ride (I guess I am doing another mistake thinking this, as I taught kite surfing was easy!).

Anyway, thanks a lot for the info, Ian.
JL

Post by JL »

It's a hurdle you will jump. If you come from a wind surfing back ground just remember to bend your knees & 'un-weigh' in the lulls. My buddy Bill calls it doin' the 'Funky chicken' !!!
Thermals are good.
Joe

Post by Joe »

I didn't learn on the Mako but I've been riding one for three summers now. I think you would have no difficulty learning on this board. If you go down to the beach (Cook Street) on any windy day, you will likely be able to see and touch a few Makos. :D