foot pads coming unglued

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
jlaffin

foot pads coming unglued

Post by jlaffin »

Hi,

The footpads on my board are starting to come off. What's the best stuff to use to stick 'em back down? Contact cement?? Thanks!

Julian
kuss

Post by kuss »

yup, but if you use lots to keep them there it will be difficult to remove unlike the first time around. :roll:
Kiterkliff

Post by Kiterkliff »

rubber cement in the little cans at any hardwear store works fine.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I had this problem with my GO this week. I used "Marine Goop" which you can get at Home Depot. Itr seemed to work fine. Make sure to put pressure on the pad after Gooping it for an hour or so. A rock sculpture did the trick for me: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... ?pos=-2303
I wish my TOW was longer!
AC

YO

Post by AC »

Along with a good contact cement you could use a hair dryer to soften the glue up on the bottom of the pad. IT will help if the pads are new.
bean

Post by bean »

On this topic: I'd like to replace the hard rubber pads on my JP and I keep thinking that there must be a budget alternative to packaged pad$. I haven't looked into it yet, but does anyone know where you could buy decent foam to shape into custom deck pads? Feel free to let me know if you think this is a bonehead idea.
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I looked high and low, the closest thing I found was a glue-ready pad for paddling seats and padding for canoe yokes. This stuff sells at canoe/kayak shops at around 4-6 per 6x9" piece. It won't stand up to longterm booties/toes abuse. Any other Hi density foam that has a gluable surface appears hard to find.

I ordered it by the size I needed to redeck area between straps/pads. After trying local shops, I finally called Windance who went next door to the Padz factory. They can grab many scraps, many a color or texture, for free/lo $$ but mailed me a 18x12" piece for $20 US and I cut it exactly to size, looks awesome (You can get them peel and stick or regular) Small investment for professional job. I will show anyone my beautifully outfitted board cuz I'm sooooo pround of it with its hidden megalayers of expoxy sheets under it, ha :lol: I still wonder tho if it's not worth it spending the $40 for the padset, unless your time is worthless and you like waiting around, picking things up from postoffices etc. :x

BTW, as a bit of a heavyweight, I will never buy another board without doing this center padding to it first :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
bean

Post by bean »

Thanks Kus. I'll be down there for a week in August and will check it out. D.