Laura's kitemare at gordon's

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
jerry

Laura's kitemare at gordon's

Post by jerry »

(this is laura, not jerry typing )I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped me out yesterday... Pat, Rick, Martin, Art, Jerry, Rob and those who I couldn't see helping carry me out of there to the ambulance.

I have 3 cracked ribs, and i'm in a lot of pain.

for those of you reading this who didn't see my accident, I got dragged/bouncd accross rocks by my kite. I was wearing a helmet, and impact vest. I do believe my helmet saved me. I think the vest protected me a bit as well.

Laura
Martin

Post by Martin »

Sorry to hear about the broken ribs, Laura. Glad that you are otherwise okay. No laughing,coughing,sneezing for quite a while!
Thumbs up for the helmet and impact vest.
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

This is very unfortunate Laura. I hope you heal quickly. I launch at Gordon's more than any other location, however I was not there yesterday. The rocks and houses are very dangerous. I see most people launching right in front of them and I scratch my head. I firmly believe that the further north, past Tugwell Creek you launch the safer. Up towards the cliff. Yes you might have to walk through some shin deep water to get to the other side but you have a much bigger downwind drag zone when something goes wrong. (not if but when something goes wrong as I have been dragged 3 times over they years of self launching at this location). Gordon's is an intermediate to advanced kiting location with no room for error on the launch on the south side of Tugwell Cr.
I also cracked a rib this winter in La Ventana.. and so I feel for you. It will be a few weeks before you can climb back on the horse. I hope you have a hammock and a good book!
curses - foiled again!
islandrick

Post by islandrick »

Hey Laura, I'm happy the read your doing ok. I know that cracked ribs hurt like hell, so like they say, try not to cough or sneeze lol.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Speaking of kitemares...yesterday around 6:30 morewind, RD and I observed someone standing in the water launching their kite with it on the beach pointing toward the cottages. Seemed like a recipe for disaster to us.
My other hobby is channel surfing
Vik

Post by Vik »

Sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you'll heal up and be fine.

I had a kitemare at Nihtnat recently...luckily I was out far enough to release both safteys and there were skilled folks on the beach to catch my rogue kite.

My GPS recorded that I was being hurled 26'+ in the air at 72kph+ between UFC style body slams into the lake...know where your safety releases are and practice using them. I'll be carrying a full sized line knife in the future as a 3rd level back up.

Scary how fast things turn from fun to deadly! Greg is right you need to work the odds into your favour and have a back up plan as things will eventually go wrong for everyone.

ps - I see people all the time at Nihtnat launching towards the trees/logs instead of towards the water...seems like a bad idea even if the launch is fairly chill.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com