Vertical Axis Wind Turbines - VAWT

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

these guys claim more efficiency, no noise, best use of wind even in turbulence, lowest startup speed, and no upper limit on wind strength..

"In real environment testing in the Archipelago of Finland the Windside Wind Turbine produced up to 50% more electricity in a year than a traditional propeller type turbine of the same swept area.

With the Worlds average prevailing wind speed being only 3 m/s (10.8 km/h 6.75 mph) the lower the wind speed at which the turbine starts to generate power the better. The Windside Wind Turbine range with its unique vane construction utilises wind speed as low as 1-3 m/s (3.6 km/h 2.25 mph) other turbines are still standing still at these wind speeds. At the other end of the scale the Windside Wind Turbine will continue to produce at wind speeds up to 60 m/s (216 km/h 135 mph). Both these facts are world records.

Wind speed is not the only factor to consider. Turbulence and changes in wind direction effect a turbines ability to produce power at the rate stated in ideal test conditions. Conventional propeller type turbines are slow to react to these factors. The Windside Spiral Vanes always reach the wind at the right angle "
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Operating at lower wind speeds is helpful but not a deal breaker. Here is why.

Wind power is a cubic function of wind speed. Doubling the wind speed yields 8 times more power.

So 4m/s wind provides 8 times less power than 8 m/s, and 2m/s wind provides 64 times less power than 8 m/s. This is why a high average wind speed is critical.

They didn't tell you that for a reason. Because it dominates other improvements in the technology.

Also turbulent sites usually mean you have obstructions that will reduce the average wind speed. Not a good site to choose in any case.

Economies of scale is important too, meaning little one-offs are not economical for grid tied projects. Huge 5 MW turbines are now being installed, for example.
Signature Block.
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Ya.....that, and you can get a small wind generator at cantire for under a grand, and the small vawt is 6500$$$$$!!!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Wavos, that Flettner system that Cousteau demonstrated (as well as the historical ship) weren't electrical at all. They operated on some entirely different principal, soemthing to do with force generated at 90 degrees to a spinning cylinder (I expect Wikepedia would know the details!). Something to do with centrifigal force??? Anyway, cool concept, it does work but just not very fast.

Dredging my memory, the very first Flettner drive ship was later fitted with conventional propulsion and is now sunk in BC waters; I think I did a brief report on it once, but I might be confusing it with the Erickson ship.