mold on my boat

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
islandrick

mold on my boat

Post by islandrick »

Just checked on my sail boat, lots of mold growing on the teak and everything else such as life jackets etc. I had this boat for about 4 years and never seen this happen, very hart breaking. Not as bad as a flooded basement suite but still not nice. Anyone know the proper way to clean the mold and kill the spores.

Thanks;
Rick
jump'njibe'njim

Post by jump'njibe'njim »

I had a kite come out of winter storage with some black mould. I let it dry and it was fine as the mould died. But the black stain did not and may never go away. I think it's the same stuff that wants to grow in my shower's tile grout.
I would try some of those cleaning products on t.v. that claim to clean such messes but be super careful not to use anything acidic or a solvent that might damage what you're cleaning. Maybe something soapy with some of those micro scrubbing things. TSP (trisodium phosphate) has worked in my shower, but...? You could do some tests and tell us how it goes as we all have this problem but I've never seen an easy solution.
I think methyl hydrate (alcohol) will kill the mould if you can't get the room to dry (and it dosen't hurt anything).
A common solution is to ignore the staining, regarding it as a soulful patina that makes the object truly yours.
Good luck.
FUN
Wingnut

Mold

Post by Wingnut »

Painters use a 20% solution of bleach/water to kill mold. Rince after. :)
GWIND

bleach

Post by GWIND »

Iwould not use bleach, it's very harsh, maybe ask a sail loft or your manufacturer.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Non-porous surfaces can be cleaned, teak may be cleanable despite its pores, textiles such as cushions and lifejackets, wash to reduce the smell and live with the damage and stains or chuck :? You'll probably have to ditch most of it as you cannot really ever remove the smell. I have washed some skigear (wet goggles, hats etc.) 5x and it still stunk :roll:

Maintenance of ventilation is vital. I leave all vents open in the RV, have a minor heat source (light bulb etc.) to promote a drying environment and hang/support any cushions etc. so air can get at all surfaces. Remove all bedding and clothes, food. A dehumidifier also helps. I am currently actively drying out the RV from all the frosting/condensation from skiing the other day, it usually takes much longer than you think to fully dry things out.

Also, you might wanna check for leaks you didn't have before!!

Bummer :x
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Tedz

Post by Tedz »

My grand father built his sail boat 35 years ago in redondo beach california.the outer cabins on his sail boat are all made of teak,once a year we had to refinish all the wood.there is a special type teac wood cleaner its a two part solution. solution A & B.You basically brush it on as i remember first with solution A,then let it sit for about 5-10 minits then rinse it off with water.Then repeat with solution B.I remember it was like a acid it made the wood look like new.cant remember the brand name of this product but its very common at your local marine store.another thing we used to use was after we cleaned it was some "Cetol"heavy duty marine varnish to keep the teac sealed and looking nice and shiny.Hope that works for ya it should.
islandrick

Thanks

Post by islandrick »

Thanks everyone for the info. now I can go into a marine store and get what I need. Can't wait for the warm weather...
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

hey, just spotted what claims to be a "mold cleaner" at homongous creepo, wild and wonderful "kills mold on contact" claims, nvr know, might actually work :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
AC

Vinager

Post by AC »

Trotac Marine In James BAy has quite a few remidies that
cost lots. But Paul suggested water and Vinager